(link goes to external site)
Explore the historic landscape surrounding President Lincoln’s Cottage in our unique, guided outdoor experiences offered for the first time as part of our daily public programming. Note that the interior of the Cottage remains closed to protect our community.
- Storytelling on the South Lawn: Inspired by Lincoln’s own penchant for storytelling at the Cottage, guides will draw upon the history of the Cottage to tell stories about the important legacy that President Lincoln created here – including the development of the Emancipation Proclamation.
- Cemetery Tour: Located just two hundred yards from the front of the Cottage, the US Soldiers’ and Airmen’s Home National Cemetery holds incredible significance to President Lincoln’s time at the Cottage. This tour will illuminate the lives of the thousands of men and women buried in one of the country’s oldest National Cemeteries.
AUGUST TOUR SCHEDULE
- Adult: $12.50
- Children (6-12): $5
- Military (Active Duty and Veterans). Must present valid ID: $10
- President Lincoln’s Cottage Members (2 member-priced tickets per valid ID): $6.50
- National Trust for Historic Preservation Members (2 member-priced tickets per valid ID): $10
- Only guests with tickets will be allowed to enter the grounds.
- Visitors should check-in for tours under the tent just outside of the Robert H. Smith Visitor Education Center
- President Lincoln’s Cottage is on the grounds of the Armed Forces Retirement Home. Security for the Armed Forces Retirement Home requires visitors to show valid identification at the security gate in order to enter the property. Please be prepared to show your ID.
- Visitors three years and older are required to wear face masks while on the grounds. Security at the gate will ask to see your masks before allowing you to enter the grounds.
- When possible staff and visitors will maintain 6-feet of social distancing to reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure.
- Photography of the Cottage and Visitor Education Center exteriors for private use is welcome and encouraged—feel free to tag us on social media @lincolnscottage. Interior and/or professional photography requires advance approval. To request permission see details here»
- Parking is permitted in our designated lot only; a bike rack is located behind the Visitor Education Center.
- Food and beverages may be consumed in the picnic area behind the Visitor Education Center.
- Visitors may also bring lawn chairs or other seating to enjoy tours comfortably.
- For your safety and protection of the art or artifacts, sitting or climbing on the cannons and Lincoln and Horse sculpture is not permitted.
- Please respect the privacy of the residents of the Armed Forces Retirement Home and remember to keep to the landscape and walkways immediately surrounding the Cottage and the Visitor Education Center. Exploring beyond these boundaries is not permitted and results in trespassing on federal property.
For all other inquiries, please call 202-829-0436.