The Events Associate (EA) serves as an informed and friendly ambassador for President Lincoln’s Cottage, providing support for its award-winning events program. The EA reports directly to the Events Manager and assists with general event services including: responding to event inquiries, leading venue tours, preparation of event materials, set-up, monitoring, and clean-up of events; and tracking event information. This is a part time, hourly position not to exceed 30 hours per workweek. Events occur throughout the year, on weekdays and weekends, daytime and evenings.
- Helps ensure that President Lincoln’s Cottage is ready to receive guests by the start of each event, greets and orients guests during events, and assists to ensure that the site is properly returned to excellent, pre-event conditions at the conclusion of each event.
- Actively monitors vendors and guests during events. Protects the National Monument and adjacent historic landscape and structures by ensuring strict adherence to site policies and procedures.
- Conducts venue tours for potential and contracted clients.
- Monitors and answers potential client inquiries into spaces.
- Assists in monitoring security (buildings, grounds) and ensuring visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies and promptly notifying supervisor and/or other appropriate staff of incidents or unsafe conditions.
- Assists in marketing outreach initiatives including updating client databases.
- Assist with visitor services and frontline operations as required, including completing museum store sales, answering the front desk phone, and opening and closing site’s buildings in accordance with site procedures and
- Accurately convey the site’s history and sense of place for visitors, so they may better understand and appreciate the site within historical and contemporary
- Convey the mission of President Lincoln’s Cottage, including knowledgeably sharing information on upcoming programs and initiatives.
- Ability to work shifts ranging from 3 hours to 10 hours each, between the hours of 7AM-12AM.
- Experience assisting in special event, wedding coordination, or other aspects of the hospitality field preferred, including customer service experience and experience dealing with clients, vendors and guests in sophisticated and complex social settings.
- Previous experience in a historic, museum, or other cultural setting a plus.
- Effective and engaging interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to speak and read English fluently (bilingual fluency a plus).
- Basic problem-solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including culturally diverse audiences, patrons and guests.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set a plus.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Minimum physical requirements include but are not limited to: Ability to stand or be active for periods up to 10 hours; walk over uneven terrain; climb stairs; lift up to 50lbs.
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in hospitality- or site-related fields a plus.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jobs@LincolnCottage.org. Please use Events Associate in the subject line.
President Lincoln’s Cottage is a proud recipient of the Washingtonian’s 50 Great Places to Work (2017)