For the second year, we’re combining our two popular events, the Freedom 5K and Family Day, into one full day of racing and family fun: Homecoming. During the Civil War the Lincoln family called the Cottage home. This year we welcome everyone back “home” to join us for a full day of activities where you can run, walk, and play like Lincoln.
Come for just the race, just Family Day activities, or stick around for both! Please note, you must register for the Freedom 5K. All Family Day activities are free, but we still ask you register for a head count.
WHEN: Saturday, September 22
WHERE: President Lincoln’s Cottage
Entrance: 140 Rock Creek Church Road NW, Washington DC 20011
Click here for directions.
SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY:
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM- Join Lighthouse Yoga for a pre-race yoga session (no mats required).
9 AM– The day kicks off with our annual Freedom 5K race. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER and more details about the race. Fee: $35 until online registration closes on September 20 at 8:00 pm, then $40 through race day.
10 AM– Tot Dash: 100-yard Tot Dash for FREE following the 5K race. Register the morning of Saturday, September 22.
10 AM- 3 PM: Homecoming continues with Family Day activities, FREE for all:
- Explore a Civil War Encampment: View the 150th Pennsylvania Volunteers, better known as the Bucktails, who served as Lincoln’s personal guards.
- Pony Rides: It’s no secret Tad Lincoln loved keeping pets on the grounds. Ride a pony around Lincoln’s front lawn.
- Arts and Crafts: Make cards for veterans or those in need, your family tree and create your own top hat!
- Folgers Shakespeare Library Workshop: Did you know Abraham Lincoln loved reading Shakespeare? Learn how to act, improvise, and insult like Shakespeare in this interactive workshop.
- Picnic on the Grounds: Enjoy delicious food from our on-site vendors Old Smokey Bar-B-Que (selling pulled pork, smoked chicken, mac ‘n’ cheese, hot dogs and more!) or pack your own picnic and enjoy lunch at the picnic tables or on the ample South Lawn.
- Story hour, music & more!
- Tour the Cottage: Take a guided tour of the Lincoln family’s seasonal retreat. Regular ticket prices apply; visit our tickets page to purchase in advance. First tour begins at 10 AM; last tour begins at 3 PM.
*Cottage tours are not included in Homecoming activities. If you would like to take a tour of the Cottage, we strongly recommend purchasing Cottage Tour Tickets in advance. Regular ticket prices apply.
Family Day activities, sponsored by President Lincoln’s Cottage and the Armed Forces Retirement Home, are FREE unless otherwise noted, and are open to the public. Event program and schedule subject to change. Sorry, no pets allowed on the grounds.
CONTACT: Contact President Lincoln’s Cottage with any questions at 202-829-0436 or email@example.com
Have questions particularly pertaining to Freedom 5K registration? Email freedom5K@lincolncottage.org