President Lincoln’s Cottage is a proud recipient of the Washingtonian’s 50 Great Places to Work (2017)
The Museum Program Associate serves as an informed and friendly ambassador for President Lincoln’s Cottage, providing general visitor services including admissions, membership and retail sales, leading tours, workshops, and school programs, and assisting with events and projects as needed.
- Assist with visitor services and frontline operations as required, including shop retail, ticketing and site admissions, visitor orientation, answering phones, and opening and closing the museum store and buildings in accordance with site procedures and policies.
- Accurately interpret the site’s stories, themes, collection, and sense of place for visitors, so they may better understand and appreciate the site within historical and contemporary contexts.
- Engage visitors in active observation, discussion and synthesis during programs, utilizing multi-media resources as appropriate.
- Respond to different groups of visitors (adults, school children, families) by varying tour content and techniques as appropriate.
- Convey the mission of President Lincoln’s Cottage, including announcing current initiatives and upcoming programs.
- Convey the meaning and benefits of Team Lincoln, the Cottage’s membership program.
- Provide exceptional customer service to all site guests and interact courteously and professionally with site colleagues.
- Assist in monitoring collections security (buildings, objects, grounds) and visitor safety, responding calmly and professionally to emergencies and promptly notifying supervisor of all incidents or unsafe conditions.
- Re-stock shop merchandise each day, as needed, helping to maintain an orderly and attractive store and an organized stockroom by keeping merchandise filled and neatly displayed, including dusting and cleaning space as needed.
- Assist with managing inventory and receiving, unpacking and ticketing of merchandise.
- Assist with order fulfillment and packing of orders for shipment.
- Attend all required quarterly meetings and scheduled training sessions and contribute insights drawn from tour experiences and visitor response. Participate actively in training programs and other opportunities in order to expand site knowledge and strengthen customer service, interpretive, retail, and development skills.
- Effective and engaging presentation skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to speak and read English fluently. Bi-lingual fluency (in English and Spanish or other language) a plus.
- Basic math and cash handling skills required. Experience with point of sale retail systems, registers and ticketing systems a plus.
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for humanities subjects related to the site preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with culturally diverse audiences, and audiences of varying age.
- Some experience in public speaking, presenting educational or promotional information to the public, and retail, hospitality or other customer service role. Experience working in a museum, educational, historical or cultural setting a plus.
- Basic problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, evenings
- Ability to work a minimum of 48 hours per month
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Minimum physical requirements include but are not limited to: Ability to stand for periods up to 60 minutes; walk over uneven terrain; climb stairs; lift and carry loads of up to 50 pounds on a frequent basis and occasionally more.
- BA or equivalent work experience required; studies in history, museum studies, museum education, architecture or other topics related to specific site programs preferred.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Jobs@LincolnCottage.org. Please use MPA Position at President Lincoln’s Cottage in the subject line.