With guidance from senior staff, the Development Assistant is responsible for executing daily development operations, including membership activity and business activity related to public events including those for board development and donor cultivation. The Development Assistant reports directly to the Director of Development (DoD). The position is responsible for helping to ensure excellent experiences for members and donors of President Lincoln’s Cottage. Membership and event work may be outside of normal business hours, require seasonal shifts in schedule, and may include work on occasional weekend days and holidays.
- Coordinate all membership activities including maintaining the member database in Salesforce CRM; processing fulfilments, renewals, and acknowledgements; and communications around membership.
- Maintain and update PLC’s member lists and donor prospect lists.
- Conduct research and maintain files and profiles on donors and board prospects.
- Develop and organize content for materials in support of board cultivation and fundraising events.
- Organize volunteer assistance on mailings and other membership work as appropriate.
- Coordinate logistics for all public events and programs, ensuring compliance with existing site-use policies.
- Organize preparation, issuance, and tracking of contracts, invoices, and other correspondence with vendors.
- Track and maintain detailed and accurate attendance records on public event guests, vendors, and VIP invitees and attendees.
- Make recommendations for updates to policies/procedures, vendor contracts, and agreement letters for supervisory approval.
- Support DoD with preparation of fundraising solicitations and grant proposals.
- Support colleagues by providing back-up assistance, as determined by the DoD.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least 2 years of professional level experience, with a background in nonprofit development and fundraising preferred. Experience and/or interest in a museum, preservation, arts & cultural or other non-profit setting a plus.
- Experience coordinating related projects, such as membership programs and special events.
- Basic analytical and problem solving skills, including issue identification and prioritization.
- Basic project-coordination skills.
- Ability to achieve results with general supervision.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience successfully interacting with key stakeholders.
- Ability to collaborate to achieve results.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task efficiently and respond to a high volume of ongoing requests in a timely fashion. Strong organizational skills required.
- Ability to continually develop skills related to use of rapidly changing technology and communications best practices.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and skill set essential.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible in a dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated success in helping to market to and engage culturally diverse audiences and partners.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel required. Familiarity with other software, including contact databases, a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent years of experience) required, preferably in a related field.
Please send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three professional references to Jason Molihan, Director of Development, at email@example.com with subject line “Development Assistant Position-President Lincoln’s Cottage.” Please no phone calls.
Submission deadline is January 4, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; top applicants should expect to be contacted in early January.
President Lincoln’s Cottage is a proud recipient of the Washingtonian’s 50 Great Places to Work (2017)